Employers and Independent Contractors (ICs) in California and across the nation have been closely watching the evolution of Assembly Bill 5 (AB5) as it made its way through the legislative process. On September 18, 2019 Governor Newsom signed it into law. Effectively the law codifies and expands on the April 2018 California Supreme Court decision commonly known as “Dynamex” three-pronged, ABC test that set a strict new test for employers to answer if:
- A worker is free from the control and direction; under contract and in fact;
- A worker performs work that is outside the usual course of the hiring entity’s business; and
- A worker customarily engaged in independently established business.
In this one-hour, informative webinar, TalentWave will take participants through the facts of the law, debunk many of the myths and misconceptions, review state reactions to AB5 and provide a summary of reasonable steps that organizations operating in California ought to consider to make sure they are compliant with its provisions.
Topics we’ll cover will include:
- Why AB5 came to be – understanding the legislative purpose
- AB5 – truths, myths and mysteries
- Understanding the carve-outs
- The future of ICs in California
- What this means for the rest of the country
- Operationalizing AB5 (practical steps to mitigate its impacts)